Thanks for checking out our job description for a remote Chief Architect at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just throwing you right in there with words like “revolutionizing” and “disrupting”.
As such, we want you to know that the person that wrote this job description apologises in advance for any clichés, startup tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What is Impala now?
Impala makes building travel software incredibly easy.
We provide hotels with a powerful data management platform that makes connecting to software, hardware and room distributors extremely easy. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous pace. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
We are a growing team of exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial that have built a fantastic, remote-but-far-from-distant community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the best investors in the business, the early stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago and more. They’re on board because of our vision - revolutionizing a $1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
Within the next few years, 10% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology and the product that we’re building will empower the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team to 50 people within the next year. So now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to scale up!
A brief overview of what you’ll be up to in this role:
As Chief Architect, you will act as the technical authority in a top-tier engineering team, ensuring that our technology can meet both immediate and future needs. You will report to (and work alongside) our VP of Engineering.
Technology sits at the heart of our business, which makes this a pivotal role with key responsibilities:
- You will lead on technology strategy & prioritization, managing short term technical risks and long term investment in our stack
- You will be accountable for technical quality at Impala, including the reliability, security, and extensibility of our services and data
- You will ensure that monitoring, metrics and SRE practices are in place across all teams and services, to measure and meet high service SLA’s / expectations
- You will be the direct leader of an enablement group, which provides specialist technical/DevOps/SecOps support to our development teams
- You will provide technical direction and mentorship across teams to support the development of individuals
You should join us if:
- You have 10+ years of relevant and diverse product and engineering experience, with a period of executive-level responsibility at an organization with a strong engineering culture
- You are an expert in the architectural design, development, and operation of large scale, high availability services
- You have demonstrated experience with modern web services, distributed service-oriented architectures and services that handle large quantities of data, across multiple different stacks.
- You aren’t afraid to get hands-on when necessary to demonstrate an approach / principle
- You are comfortable leading and mentoring teams and individuals
Where will you work?
This is a remote position. This means you can work from anywhere +/- 2 Hours of London timezone (and less than a 3 hour flight).
We are a remote-first company, our whole engineering team is fully distributed! This was a very deliberate choice to prioritise work-life balance and ensure we’re able to accommodate the best people in Europe, whilst fostering diversity.
We have loads of remote initiatives to ensure you’re fully setup !
- We give you an additional generous Personalised Workspace Budget for things like monitors, keyboards, desk chairs and headphones.
- We offer an office stipend - you can furnish your home office with a generous £150 monthly stipend (coffee, snacks, wifi bills, cleaning, desk equipment, plus anything in between) or we will pay for a co-working membership near you.
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet and socialise with the rest of the engineering team somewhere in Europe.
- You’ll have a generous Social Budget to travel to London based social events.
- You'll also have a special 'Loved Ones Budget' that we're incredibly proud to offer - £750 per year to visit your friends and family, no matter how near or far from home you are based.
- We have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, who's role amongst other things, is to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and be empowered whilst working remotely.
- We will give you a brand new high-spec laptop when you start, giving you the choice between a Thinkpad or Mac.
Please note, we only accept candidates in Western Europe because of timezone and travel time differences. We make no exceptions (we don’t have time to!).
What you will get in return?
- We reward Impalans with super competitive salaries and regular reviews. Whether you're an individual contributor or you want to manage people, there's plenty of opportunity to develop your skills and boost your earning potential. We offer 3.5x the average annual raise in the UK, even if you remain within the same role.
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for holiday that we offer, at 36 days.
- One Unsick day off per year, to keep up with proactive health admin - so you can finally sort that trip to the dentist and get those health screens that you never have time to do.
- A stipend to set up your ideal place of work. You can choose between the option of £150 per month to build out your home office, or we’ll pay for your membership at a coworking space near you up to £350.
- Truly flexible working. Work remotely, with a budget given to you to set up your workspace in the way you want. We also offer extended lunch break options, Recess Hour, and loads more. No commutes no more!
- Sustainable growth and career progression opportunities.
- We invest in your development with a generous £1,000 Professional Development budget per year, and we will support you to realise your potential.
- Fun and inclusive monthly social events, from go-karting to mini golf to karaoke, giving Impalans across Europe the chance to catch up and recharge.
- Access to Perkbox - a platform designed to help you to live a better life by personalising, managing, delivering and measuring the best company perks in real-time.
- A super strong and pro-active focus on mental and physical wellbeing. Our Health and Wellbeing scheme offers Impalans a range of options; from Vitality health insurance, to Sanctus, to a monthly gym membership reimbursement, plus heaps more.
- We've got meaningful core values which we don't just pay lip service to.
- A Weekly Recess Hour; take an hour off to step out from work and invest in You Time! Lawn mow, yoga, walk or movie anyone?
- A Social Budget to travel to/from & stay in London for a night, for our monthly Impala Social.
- A generous Loved Ones Budget, to get your friends & family over to visit you once a year, no matter how near or far from home you are based.
- Weekly 20% Time.
If you are excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us, and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM