About the role
At Shopify, we’re merchant obsessed. Our merchants are the reason we do what we do every day, and their experience with our platform, as well as the experience of our Partners and Buyers, is of the utmost importance. Providing them with incredible support is our goal, and to do this we’ve built a complex multi-country, multi-language, multi-channel Global Support organization. Workforce Planning specifically plays a significant part in the overall success of our Support organization.
There are quite a few things that go into making our entire support team a well oiled machine. Workforce Planning is one area that plays a significant part in the success of our support team and due to continued growth we are looking for an expert Workforce Planning Manager to join our team.
Reporting to head of Workforce Planning, you will be responsible for forecasting and long term capacity planning for all areas covered by the Workforce Planning department. You’ll also be working closely with the other Workforce Planning Managers to ensure we deliver success in all disciplines, and in all areas around the world. This role is perfect for you if you like managing data, long term planning, meeting with stakeholders, discussing options, and holding strong opinions loosely. Regular meetings with all levels of management will be your norm. Also, you really should enjoy jigsaw puzzles because this is a giant one on a global scale!
We want someone who can take a blank page and run with it. We are building for the future and you will have an amazing opportunity to contribute to how forecasting and long term planning works within Shopify.
You'll need to understand:
- Workforce Management Systems and methodologies
- How to tell a story, what happened and why
- The complexities of future looking assumptions
- How to develop and motivate a team
- How to build and maintain forecasts
- How to build and maintain capacity and hiring plans
You’ll be expected to:
- Your primary focus will be on forecasting for Support
- Be one of the co-owners of capacity planning for Support in conjunction with Senior Leader(s)
- Be a subject matter expert representing the forecasting team on various projects providing exceptional leadership, clear direction and continuous guidance to the WFP team members responsible for Support.
- Ensure forecasting and planning models are continuously updated using historical data along with available business intelligence.
- Track, analyze, report, and communicate on team and individual performance through varying data sources
- Consistently compare projections to actuals and communicate to key stakeholders and be prepared to course correct as necessary
- Proactively partner with business leaders to communicate staffing requirements and hiring recommendations including presenting solutions that maximize budget and best use of resources
- Offer strategies for dealing with planned and unplanned team shrinkage
- Analyze and report on trends affecting the load, capacity and effectiveness of the Support team
- Work with Support Team Leads on trends and their impacts to the load or capacity of the Support team
- Attend and/or lead daily/weekly meetings on the topics of: staffing review, forecast and scheduling analytics, performance - forecasted and actual, efficiency, load and capacity, risk identification and more
- Maintain a healthy work/life balance
What you'll bring to the table:
- Experience in a similar role with a team in excess of 500 people, ideally globally spanning many time zones in a contact or support centre environment
- Experience forecasting and capacity planning, ideally with a global span supporting many time zones in a contact or support centre environment
- Creative strategies for interpreting and finding solutions to peaks and valleys of support load throughout the day
- A keen eye towards identifying risk. You’re able to see when there are factors that will likely cause a dip in service excellence
- Extreme effectiveness working on a team. While some responsibilities may be siloed only for the sake of getting shit done, we all work together in the name of helping out Shopify merchants
- Advanced Google Sheets/Excel knowledge is a must. Big formulas should not frighten you. Prepare and deliver dynamic presentations using data and analytics to tell a compelling story
- Comfort working independently while maintaining a strong sense of awareness for when to seek input or critical feedback from others
- A strong sense of urgency around your work, investment in the team, the company and Shopify merchants, and the ability to hold yourself accountable to the highest standard of excellence
If you are excited about this opportunity, click on "Apply for this job" and be sure to include your resume and cover letter. Tell us a little about yourself, and your experiences and why you're seeking this opportunity with Shopify.
Closing Date: Friday, May 29th 2020 at 4pm EST
Location: Canada, Ireland and New Zealand - Remote
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.